Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Foreword: A Review of Board Game Reviews

A trope that exists throughout all manner of media; there are two types of people in this world...

King of Tokyo
I have two little girls, and not long ago, I had one of those "dad reflexes" moments. You've seen the videos; dad chases down his kid on a runaway sled, stopping it just before a car passes in the street. That kinda thing. So, I was preparing a bath for the younger one, getting the tub filled, while the little one was undressing and babbling her little kid nonsense.

Little One: I hate carrots!
Dad: But carrots are very good for you. They help keep your eyes strong.
Litte One: When you eat it, it doesn't go up. It goes down into your belly.

Bohnanza
I did all the responsible parent things. Made sure the tub was clean, had the slip mat ready, the rug beside the tub for splash damage and drying. I even reached in every 12.4 seconds to ensure the temperature was just right, because you do not want to try to get a kid into a bath that's 1 degree off from where they're comfortable.

"IT BURNS ME!"
"No. No it doesn't."

Anyway, the water was just right. The little one was undressed, and I told her to get in. Well, she can't just take my word that the temperature is perfect, so before stepping in she reaches over the side to put a hand in. At this point I'm about ready to step out (she's not so little she can't be left alone in the bath), but as I turn I see some slight movement in the mirror.

Dungeon Fighter
I spin, lunge, reach back, and catch the shower curtain rod as it falls, just a hair's breadth above her little head.

It was like something out of a movie, and the only one to witness it was the little one, who, let's face it, didn't even notice or care. That's just what dads do. But, wow, there is some adrenaline rush to a feat like that. I NEEDED to tell someone.

I call up a friend, "you're never going to believe this. There I was, in the bathroom getting a bath ready for the little one. Setting the temperature just right, and..."

"Get to the point."

You see, there are two types of people. Those who appreciate a story, allowing the narrator to set a scene, to build tension, to let the world build and events flow naturally. The setup is half the fun.

And then there's my friend who just wants the headline.
DAD CATCHES FALLING CURTAIN ROD ABOVE CHILD'S HEAD

The board gaming hobby has seen quite a bit of growth of late, and with that, there's been an influx of reviewers out there. While everyone has their own style and their own niche, there seems to be a rather consistent format to it all.

Rules/Gameplay Overview, Components, Opinion.

Fury of Dracula
It's my friend who only wants the headlines. There's nothing wrong with that. It's a ubiquitous format because it works. But it's not what I intend to do here. I will do reviews, but I may or may not ever touch upon actual rules or gameplay, or mention the components. My opinion, however, is what you'll get, in a sense. You see, what you're signing up for here is a review hidden behind a storytelling, where, in the end, you'll understand how playing a game made me feel, and thereby how it might make you feel. There's certainly no shortage of sites or videos on the other bits.

So, grab a cup of whatever makes you happy (coffee for me, please), and enjoy the ride.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment