Friday, January 4, 2019

2018 Board Game Highlights - Play Count

Before we get started, a note to my readers: I want to try something new. Well, new to you. I created this tandem of characters for a D&D backstory many years ago as announcers to a few games of Blood Bowl. It was a long backstory that needed some comic relief. I miss them, so I am thinking about dusting them off and using them to write my game reviews. The story-telling mode wasn't working for me, as you may have noticed with the lack of posts over the last several months. But, I'm back with a re-theme, and maybe a new name at some point. I introduce you to our actors:

Carv Halberd (skeleton)
Urnal Angr (ogre)

Carv: Happy New Year, ladies and germs, banshees and banhees, ghouls of all sizes. Welcome to the first annual Highlights Reel. 2018. What a year, am I right Urnal?

Urnal: 2018 was definitely a year. Says so on the date screen.

Carv: Thanks, Urnal. Ever the insight.

Urnal: Careful bone-boy.

Carv: Always. To the point, today we review the highlights of our 2018 board gaming. What do you say, Urnal?  List? Exposition? Oration on the performance evaluation of our entertainment?

Urnal: [sounds of a bony arm being ripped from its socket]

Carv: List it is. Let us start simple, with numbers.

Urnal: Numbers are like letters but for numbering.

Carv: Absolutely right, Urnal. Ever the help to our Pre-K viewers.

Urnal: I'll Pre-K...ick your face.

Carv: [sounds of a bony butt shifting a little further away]. We start on volume, and let us just get the list out of the way, shall we? We can go into some more detail on each game in our next session.

Urnal: Here are top L games played.

Carv: That's 7, to us number using folk.

7. Rising Sun (5 plays)
6. Ex Libris (5 plays)
5. Bohnanza (5 plays)
4. Azul (5 plays)

Urnal: Me noticing trend here. These all board games.

Carv: Actually... [sound of an ogre slowly cracking his knuckles] you are absolutely correct. I'll continue, we'll see if it's more board games.

3. Spirit Island (6 plays)

Urnal: Urnal likes this game. Whole island of spirits. Takes many spirits to get Urnal drunk.

Carv: Yes. Many spirits. I have it on good authority, mostly that my entire dialogue is being created for me by the player of said games, that Spirit Island was a late entry into the top list, with most plays occurring solo right at the end. A tough game of Catan Strikes Back with a more satisfyingly complicated Pandemic-like feel that helps ease away real world stress by drowning your thoughts with in game options.

Urnal: Burns many brains.

Carv: An appropriate comment, Urnal. Thank you.

Urnal: [sounds of bony leg being ripped out and used to hit a bony face]. I have reputation to maintain.

Carv: Right. Onward.

2. Downforce (7 plays)

Carv: Likely play count is higher than this as any play of this game tends to result in an instant replay. And with the youngest gremlin enjoying the simplified rules of this game (found in the instructions), this play count could easily be double. Light, fast, fun, racing and betting.

Urnal: Betting is my cup of grog.

Carv: I don't doubt that.

Urnal: I bet bony man will shut his face-hole if he doesn't want to chase his jaw across the arena.

[silence]

[an ogre laughs]

1. Mr. Cabbagehead's Garden (12 plays... also likely underscored)

Urnal: My favorite part is when you play the game.

Carv: Yes, certainly a good part of this solo puzzle game (2 player rules created with the Kickstarter). Sadly, I've never been able to win that blue ribbon.

Urnal: Me get you blue ribbon.

[sounds of an ogre stomping off]

[a loud thud]

[screams]

[wet, slimy, sounds]

Urnal: Here, friend.

Carv: Intestines... not the blue ribbon... thank you, Urnal. You're a true friend.

[sounds of a slap on a bony back]

[a bony head hits a table]

Carv: Thanks for coming along folks. Next up, our first annual ranking of games. Until next time...

[sounds of a giant ogre club breaking the set]


No comments:

Post a Comment